Friday, May 14, 2010

Southbank Arts Trail, Bristol, 2010
I share my house with 4 other very creative and talented people, and last weekend was our 'Arts Trail' weekend, when we opened our house and studio and invited in the whole world and his dog! Above is a pic of my studio before... and below is a studio of during!

I was designated 'chief orgainiser/music promoter' in my house, and I've been looking forward to this weekend for months! I shared my studio with my Japanese housemates beautiful work:
And we had my other housemates print studio in our front room, our kitchen turned into a Japanese/English cafe (with plenty of tea and cakes, many made my clever mum!) And upstairs was a magical wonderland of Music Under the Stars, where we invited our talented musician friends to play 2 gigs on the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I even made a poster with fellow illustrator Dave Bain, who also hosted music and art at his house:

The biggest bedroom in the house was filled with over 30 people even backing up the stair-well to the attic....
Jerry Afraid

Rozi Plain

Lonely Tourist

Evening Chorus

Samantha Marais

Bex Baxter

The Pindrop Band

The last 3 bands feat. my talented housemate Jacob Morrison on guitar, banjo and ukulele.

And Henry Dingle (I didn't manage to get a photo of Henry, because I was busy swept up looking after the art!).

It was a huge success, and (without sounding boastful!) people keep telling me how wonderful it was! I feel so proud to have brought together something which made so many people happy. It had such a busy, warm, happy atmosphere. Myself and my housemates were exhausted after the weekend, only just beginning to recover enough to tidy up and get the house make to normal! But it was worth every effort, and I can't wait to do it all again!

2 comments:

Swan Artworks said...

Wow! It looks like you had a fantastic time... your studio looks lovely.
What a houseful of talented people, and I'm totally impressed and full of admiration for those gigs you've all hosted and all the work you must have put into it!!
Sorry I didn't make it over and I hope you did really well!
All our best wishes
Carrie...

Erica-Jane said...

Happy, happy, happy :0) xxx